Sunday, February 27, 2005

I haven't had much to SAY.

Not lately anyways. When I heard about the death of the man who always seemed to say what I felt or vaguely knew I would feel and then later did, I didn't have much to say. I've been pouring through Dr. Thompson's books (the ones I own) in search of catchy or witty quotes, but those are all too good to be taken out of context (I feel it is important to note that I didn't feel this way in the least about the black methodists I wrote about in my thesis). The pen-ultimate dissenting view has chosen to relent and abandon this world (Sean Cummings is still the world's foremost dissenter, often for no good reason at all. Sorry Sean if you read this). I've been wondering lately if the late Dr. Thompson couldn't face the realities of this new world we've walked into. Where the screwheads not only run the world but everything is so interconnected that there is no "living off the grid" anymore. Sure you can get a job that pays cash and not pay taxes, but then you can't borrow money or own things, so you've become the equivalent of a 16th Century Peasant. Thompson lived his life straddling the mainstream and the far reaches of the ether (some will say he drifted too far to one side or the other) and that is no longer possible. In a country just as politically polarized as it was in the 1960s with absolutely none of the beauty or idealism, it is a grim place indeed to attempt to dilleniate between the harsh realities of life and the mytho poetic hooplah used to justify it. Thompson turned double speak on its ear and thrust himself into a narrative that wanted no part of him. He left a world in which the media would take him and spin him and he would be both less threatening and lint free. I will miss the infamous Dr. Gonzo. I recommend any of you who might find yourselves in the unfortunate position of reading this, check out a goole search for Hunter S. Thompson and ignore the obituaries, his recent writing is really illuminating and I didn't sumble on it untill he was gone.
I don't agree with Amyl Nitrate as a solution to a novel or the death of the american dream, but I certainly did applaude the message. Lately it's been all about which lies are more reprehensible, who's rationalization is more dangerous. Well in the big chill Jeff Goldbloom asserts that Rationalizations are more important than sex. To his skeptical audience he then asks, "when was the last time you went a week without a rationalization?". And lost in all of this is the doomed. The wage slaves who never signed a social contract with Uncle Sam and couldn't read it if they were given the chance. Those forgotten who are allowed to convince themselves that somehow they are getting over on someone. "Har Har" the joke would seem to be on us all. The most non-linear and vague of my posts but fuck it. It's the lords day, I've just decided to let my freak flag fly.(ssssssssshhhh he thinks this is new) So mourn Dr. Thompson and "eat a peach" MOTHERFUCKERS. God I love the USA.





BUT FUCK THE SCREWHEADS. AND JESUS IF HE REALLY SUPPORTS THEM
(don't worry me and JC are like this Yo !!!!!!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home