Saturday, September 09, 2006

I'm ready for some advertising.

I have officially given up on politics untill after the elections. I'm going to mimick my friends and loved ones votes for local offices since they pay more attention to local politics. And I've come to realize that in any national election year, but especially during mid-term elections, I don't trust the news. maybe I'm hallucinating but I would swear its gotten even more partisan. Anywho it's time for what really makes america great ... Football. Football is the most united thing many if not most americans do. Every year in this country its gotten bigger. To the point now where people pick players from other teams and make their own team who performs according to how each of those players do respectively. It's not like, oh I'm rooting for the pats, cause I'm really rooting for the pats, peyton manning, the san diego defense and also lamont jordan who's playing against the san diego defense.
This is a much healthier hobby for bored men and women than webcam sex and I support it. But if anybody watched the NFL kickoff they may have like me, been completely mystified as to which portion of the programming was "the show" and which portions were "the ads". NFL Films clips with pop music blends into Madden 2007 shots (really well I might ad) then back into a film clip with a narrative something like "strength. dedication. The will to be champions." etc. and then a black screen and some ford truck drops from the sky. This is a level of corporate integrated media I can't cope with. More and more I'm downloading my media. The problem is without ads I feel compelled to watch an entire seasons worth of episodes in a sitting (of a good show of course).
Somehow watching the NFL kickoff weekend got me to thinking about the future of media. Intellectual property rights are a really fascinating thing. There's apparently a party in poland that seeks to abolish them. Thus did football serve as a bridge leading to deep political thought (it eventually lead to aquatic dual-sexed freedom fighters). Thus did the NFL Kickoff weekend help me put my 6 political make or break issues into perspective. My big politcal decision making issues are (and please bear in mind this is with regards to what's relevant to me and my ability for long term happiness in the country, not what's morally right, else gay marriage would be on here) campaign finance reform, censorship/intellectual property issues, a living wage, the environment, universal healthcare, and legalization (I'd take decriminialization) of marijuana. Gun control and abortion are certainly important, but it seems so simple, I have the right to both. It's like arguing against torture, it's hard to have the conversation without using the word "duh". Although you know what ladies, while there is absolutely no way in hell the government has the right to tell you what to do with your whatnots, as soon as you get on my anti-circumcision bandwagon I'll start to help you out at your abortion thing.
Why is it that when women are circumcised its a human rights violation yet men are circumcized at your local hospital. I understand the horrific effects of female circumcision. But when people make it out like its two different things I just wonder, "how many nerve endings does it take to make it a HR violation?". I mean to start with ladies have more nerve endings and better happy times, so that's not fair. But then to say that mutilating the genitalia of babies off either gender is ok is kinda fucked. I think people with faith based reasons like the jews should be grandfathered of course just like the cultural relativism of the UN, but the protestants picked this shit up because they thought it prevented masturbation (sounds kinda similar to the FGM in foreign countries I hear so much about). What the Fuck people? Can't we just have babies, unhook 'em from their moms and leave their units be? doctors need to let hermaphrodites be both genders and be the best whatever they can be. First and foremost more little kids would see hermies while playing doctor and those insipid hermaphrodite websites wouldn't be able to keep autodeducting 24.95 from my bank account. But also that's who they are and what if, just what if there is a door that protects the secret to save all mankind, and only a long foreskinned mondo labia'd hermaphrodite could open the door, what would all of you gential mutilators do then hmmmmm?


Also tune in next week as I do a long exploration into the world of fish people with both sex organs ... Mermaphrodites: The Sailor's Surprise!

GO PATS!
- and peyton manning, reggie bush, lamont jordan, javon walker, armani toomer, antonio gates, Steven Gostkowski, and the San Diego Chargers defense. eeeehhhh.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

big ups for your most scattered post yet, seamlessly weaving together different interesting topics.

A few follow-up questions:
So do you have a "stance" on the censorship/intellectual property rights issue? How do you feel laws should or shouldn't change with regard to the issue?

Do you think that FGM is a more of hot button (haha) issue than MGM because it's generally done years, sometimes many years, after birth, rather than the usual hours after birth for boys? That's how I make sense of the disparity in interest. Also, FGM tends to be viewed through a larger lens of female oppression, as a nasty component of institutionalized and culturally embedded oppression of women. Male circumcision in no way ultimately oppresses men. In fact, men (especially jews, ha ha) continue to rule the world. Not de jure, but de facto. So while I absolutely agree with your anti-circumcision stance, I think the FGM battle is a bit more important. I mean, I don't even remember being circumcised. It sucks I didn't get a choice, but I'm still doing just fine.

Also, about media: the line between ads and "content" seems to be getting blurrier every year. Product placement being the most insidious. At least the NFL kick-off show was fascinating and sort of mesmerizing. Product placement is just staight-up creepy. What I mean is, the line has been very blurry for a long time, I just hardly ever notice because product placement is so very crafty.

12:51 AM  
Blogger pepekeroauc said...

As to censorship etc. I think if liscences or versions of intellectual property are to be sold and traded commodities, their liscence must be held and tracked by the holder. i.e. warner bros records instead of apple or the sony store etc. CDs come with a registration code and upon entering it at the website the purcher is entitled to download from the company site as well as immediate access with any warner supported download format or sales sites. Or just abolish the fucking thing and people can use media to make money for concerts. At least with regards to music.

Of course FGM is worse. not the point. rather, not my point. I just think that we should take a closer look at our own society, especially these days, and notice hypocrisy. And for me its the image of an amnesty international club in a local high school writing letters re:circumcision yet ... well anyways.

Yeah, it just getting creepier. Like the first LCD screen mcdonalds menu I saw. It took me into a helicopter swoop ride around a milkshake. I just don't like people trying to sell me things because I don't have a lot of money. No, I don't have it. Big deal. Ok, so yeah I do feel a little bad... well ... you can't spit as far as me!

1:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

are you saying FA's amnesty international club wrote letters about FGM? To which countries exactly? If so, that would only be hypocrisy of the letter writers were pro male cicumcision. Or just apathetic. In which case, we've hypocrisy! Unless you can argue that although anatomically similar, and exactly the same in theory, the two forms of circumcision are actually different animals in practice. There may be a case for that. But I don't know that much about FGM.

Please expound on this McDonalds LCD experience. Confused. It was trying to sell you a milkshake? You could afford a double big mac but not a milkshake? That's fucking pathetic. Dude, I'll buy you a milkshake any day of the week. Because I'm your friend.

10:00 PM  
Blogger pepekeroauc said...

It is nice to know I can have a milkshake if nothing else. This mcdonald's menu was an lcd screen and all the menu items rotated and steamed and stuff like that. It was like if the home shopping network was on an lcd display overhead of the home shopping network store you were also subsequently in! and I don't eat double anythings anymore if I can avoid it because as spencer pointed out to me, they're too greasy. Two fast food patties create too much grease for one bun combo thingie to absorb. but um... yeah. I've decided that since I never stay on point anyways, this will become my fantasy football blog for a while. First post, why my team could seriously suck and what I'm doing to prevent that.

12:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OK, so I did imagine the McDonals LCD screen experience correctly when you first mentioned it. I haven't been to McD's in a while. What an insane advertising experience! I would feel so flattered that, even after I walk into a McDonalds, thereby expressing my clear interest in McDonalds products, the company is still trying so hard to sell me its stuff. That is insane, and it seems to me a waste of money. Cool signs with animated milk shakes outside of the restaurant? That makes sense. Catch my attention while I drive by. But when I'm already inside? Who chooses to walk into a McD's and then choose to walk out w/o buying anything? "Actually, I'm not hungry..." or "Actually, I think I'll drive across the street to Burger King."

It would be like if everytime you were hanging out with a friend, all he did was ask you if you wanted to hang out, even after you told him you think he's a great person. Yes, it would be exactly like that.

9:49 PM  
Blogger pepekeroauc said...

"peyton manning, reggie bush, lamont jordan, javon walker, armani toomer, antonio gates, Steven Gostkowski, and the San Diego Chargers defense."
Recent comments have reminded me that I have inapropriately introduced the fiercest of all football teams ... (emphasis violins here) the Determined Platapi. This band of determined people are determined to win and i'm pretty damn well determined to help. We're currently working on several marketing and product placement projects with local and national merchant. The platapi are proud to say that The Gun Store is the offical gun store of the determined platapi. The platapi also proudly advocate Q Carbo as the herbal detoxification product of choice of the Determined Platapi. But enough of the marketing
Last week our dear patapi put on a noble comeback late in the game, bolstered by the strong performance of the sand diego defense. Alas the unnimaginable plethora of points provided (illiteration is kickass) by the baltimore defense led to our platapi's defeat at the hands of the division rival Pirates. As I write our pirates lead 109 to 66. This week's opponent The Black Ravens still have three players to come in monday's nights game between pitsburgh and jacksonville. I know we'll all have our fingers crossed.


On a much more personal note, fantasy football creates the most manic sunday football experience.

1:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jake,

I will eagerly jump on your anti-circumcision bandwagon, so to speak. I think ANY kind of circumcision is completely barbaric! People do pay more attention to FGM than MGM because girls are affected forever. They have painful periods and sex isnt fun. Imagine that. Also, about the intellectual property rights, I don't get it I suppose, because I honestly don't believe musicians and actors would lose incentive to practice their art if they were paid less. Angelina Joli makes 20 million per movie. If someone told her, you only get 15 million from now on, do you think she would say "fuck that. I'm never making another movie again."??? I dont think so. I guess with writers it is very different since they do not make much to begin with and their rights actually need to be protected for their own survival.

Plus, I'd bet the LCD at Mcdonalds works and is not a waste of money. Otherwise, they wouldnt have made it. They most likely did a little homework. Maybe it helps to get regular customers.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home